On 25 May 2021, Michael Stennett, a long-term friend of the Forum, gave a talk with questions and answers on Estate Planning.
It is well known that the UK has an ageing population, especially as those born during the 1960s baby boom start to reach retirement age. However it is not just about how long we live, but how well we live, says Anna Dixon, Chief Executive for the Centre of Ageing Better. She gave a presentation in February at one of our regular webinars to explain how the centre is working towards ‘a society where everyone enjoys later life’.
Here is a video of her talk. There are some moments when sound quality is a bit marginal. After her slideshow, we finished with some questions and answers moderated by Christine Whetstone, our chair. You can download or view Anna’s slides here.
“The Failed Bank Manager: My personal journey to learn about and survive the culture of life in prison.”
Ian, who is a popular speaker on the cruise line circuit, explains how he moved from banking into prison – as an employee, not a prisoner(!) – and his life as a prison governor.
The PowerPoint slides for the meeting can be downloaded here:
or for those who prefer them in PDF format:
A Zoom talk by Ruth Bourne, one of the wartime Women of Bletchley Park (see her Wikipedia biography). Ruth was a serving WREN during the war and one of the team who successfully decoded the messages transmitted from the notorious ENIGMA machines.
Ruth’s PowerPoint slides are here:
or as a .pdf:
This year, our much delayed AGM took the form of a Zoom webinar. We had a total of 80 people online.Continue reading “AGM 2020 — 24th November”
Tuesday 6 October
In the week that celebrated International Older Peoples’ Day, in conjunction with the Enfield Older People Partnership Board, we staged our first Zoom webinar, on changes that will affect the lives of older people in Enfield. This is a recording of the event. (By the way, by playing this YouTube video, you are accepting YouTube cookies!)
The speakers were:
- Jan Shortt, General Secretary of the National Pensioners Convention, the country’s largest campaigning organisation for pensioners. She talked about pensions and the threat to the triple lock:
- Deborah McBeal, Director of Integration at Enfield at the North Central London Clinical Commissioning Group.
- Bindi Nagra, Director of Health & Adult Social Care, on the changes affecting social care in the borough.
All the speakers answered questions from the large on-line audience, mostly after all the talks.
The following links are to the speakers’ notes and slide shows. They are all in PDF format.
We held a joint Zoom meeting with Enfield Climate Action Forum on Monday 2nd September at 7pm. For a report of the meeting, see the latest Forum Focus newsletter
- Christine Whetstone will talk about the Youth Offending service and how it operates in Enfield.
- Gail Hawksworth will outline the significant changes that are happening to the primary care services and the likely impacts within Enfield and North London
Southgate Beaumont Care Home
Leon Smith, recently retired CEO of Hammersley Nightingale, and Alise Kirtley will talk about the issues of care in old age including housing options, legal and financial issues, dementia and more.